Volunteer to impact a student’s future with just a few hours per month.
What is a College Coach?
A College Coach provides critical guidance to high school students during the college application process. In your role, you will:
- Explore college options and help students find colleges that match their academic profile, financial fit, and general interests
- Guide students in developing and editing personal statements
- Support students with filling out financial aid applications
- Motivate students to stay organized during the application process
- Help students review financial aid award letters and make their final college decision!
Ready to make a difference? Complete our Interest form:
Interested in being a College Coach with ScholarMatch? To qualify, Coaches must:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree
- Complete our sequence of online trainings
- Pass a criminal background check
- Commit to supporting 2 students, averaging 4-6 total hours a month, between July 2020-June 2021 (Matched Coaches)
Drop-In Support (Temporarily Suspended)
Our college centers in San Francisco and Los Angeles are temporarily closed due to COVID-19. The health and safety of our students and coaches is of the utmost importance to us, and we look forward to working with College Coaches in-person once it is safe to continue operations.
Match with a Student (Virtually)
“Match” with a student virtually and provide support for a year as they apply for college. Our Coaches provide critical guidance through every step of the college application process — including building a college list, editing essays, and applying for financial aid. Virtual Coaches connect with students via phone calls, video chats, emails, etc.
Don’t have college access experience? No worries! We provide robust online trainings for volunteers throughout the year.
College Coaches will have access to various webinars throughout the year to guide them as they provide critical mentorship and support to their students. In addition to these informational webinars, Coaches will receive a monthly newsletter, resources, and continued support from ScholarMatch staff for the entirety of their volunteer commitment.
Meet a Current Coach!
Interested in learning what it’s like being a volunteer with ScholarMatch?
Meet virtual College Coach Burcak, a two-year volunteer from New Jersey. Read her Medium blog for insight on her experience coaching her students to success and tips she shares for new coaches joining our volunteer program!