Volunteer to impact a student’s future with just a few hours per month.
What is a College Coach?
A college coach provides critical guidance to high school students during the college application process. In your role, you will:
- Explore college options and help students find colleges that match their academic profile, financial fit, and general interests
- Guide students in developing and editing personal statements
- Support students with filling out financial aid applications
- Motivate students to stay organized during the application process
- Help students review financial aid award letters and make their final college decision!
Interested in being a college coach with ScholarMatch? To qualify, coaches must:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree
- Complete our sequence of online trainings
- Pass a criminal background check
- Commit to supporting two students, averaging 4-6 total hours a month, between July 2022-June 2023 (matched coaches)
Drop-In Support (Temporarily Suspended)
Unfortunately, due to changes in organizational resources and a reduction in funding, we are pausing drop-in services in San Francisco and Los Angeles for the foreseeable future. For the 2021-22 program year, ScholarMatch students will be matched one-on-one with a college coach to receive virtual, personalized support during the college application process. Learn more here.
Match with a Student (Virtually)
“Match” with a student virtually and provide support for a year as they apply for college. Our coaches provide critical guidance through every step of the college application process — including building a college list, editing essays, and applying for financial aid. Coaches connect with students via phone calls, video chats, emails, etc.
Don’t have college access experience? No worries! We provide robust online trainings for volunteers throughout the year.
College coaches will have access to various webinars throughout the year to guide them as they provide critical mentorship and support to their students. In addition to these informational webinars, coaches will receive monthly newsletters and resources, and continued support from ScholarMatch staff for the entirety of their volunteer commitment.
Meet a Current Coach!
Interested in learning what it’s like being a volunteer with ScholarMatch?
Meet virtual college coach Burcak, a two-year volunteer from New Jersey. Read her Medium blog for insight on her experience coaching her students to success and tips she shares for new coaches joining our volunteer program.
Sign Up Here!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering as a college coach with ScholarMatch! Unfortunately, at this moment we are at full capacity for the current program year, but welcome your participation in our next program year. Our next volunteer recruitment cycle begins in February 2022. Please complete the form below to provide your name and contact information if you would like us to follow up with you once our volunteer recruitment cycle re-opens.